During their time at Marshland Primary Academy, all children will have the opportunity to immerse themselves in the subject area of design and technology. Starting in Early Years Foundation Stage children begin their curriculum journey through the areas of ‘Expressing Art and Design – Creating with Materials’ and ‘Physical Development – Fine Motor Skills’. As part of the curriculum in years one to six, children will get to experience one project for each theme. This includes Textiles and Cooking and Nutrition. This structured approach will give a sound basis for further work and progression of skills throughout their school life. Throughout the subject we aim to:
· Prepare children to participate with tomorrow’s rapidly changing technologies
· Help children to develop an understanding of the ways people in the past and present have used design to meet their needs.
· Provide children with the opportunity to explore food and cooking techniques along with healthy eating and environmental issues within food production.
· Develop design and making skills, knowledge and understanding to the best of each child’s ability; using and selecting a range of tool, materials and components.
· Become creative problem solvers as individuals and members of a team.
· Use computing in conjunction with the Designing and Making process.
· Develop an ability to criticise constructively and evaluate their own products and those of others.